View Single Post
Old 03-16-2002, 08:56 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Thumbs up The dealer makes all the difference.

We liked the VDC, but I just don't fit well behind the wheel. I haven't been able to figure out why. I'm not that tall.

If we had been able to tolerate the VW dealer in Evansville, Indiana, we would have gotten the Jetta. But their complete arrogance (they also sell MB's, Audi's, BMW's, Porsche's, etc.) and total disregard for what we had in mind (they knew way better than we did what we were looking for ) and the fact that they would promise us a car without even knowing if they could get one (we searched the 'net thoroughly, and didn't find any dealerships with one - and they really didn't have any idea whether they would get one for quite awhile), lost the sale for them.

We weren't exactly pleased with the high-pressure we got from the Volvo dealer in E'town either.

The nearest VW dealer (other than the one in E'ville) was in Bloomington, IN, about 120 miles away. We called, and they didn't have a GLX Wagon, but we could drive a turbo, and a turbo-deisel (sounded like fun), and besides, the Volvo dealer nearby had a 2002 V40 (we had only seen the 2001 - a program car).

So away we went to Bloomington (home of the Little 500, Hilly Hundred, etc.), and drove the V40. It was Sharon's decision, really. But it was a good one. After all the raving she did over the Jetta, I couldn't believe it when we got back and she said, "This is our next car". We orderd a black one. (Black is beautiful. The one they had was silver, which is only quite lovely.) Now all we have to do is wait for it. Oh yeah, and pay for it.

We didn't make it to the VW dealer.

Guess how many V40's you're going to see in a small hick town in Southern Illinois (with two SVX's)? One, now.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>