View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark
my donkey ears can hear those silent "mosquito" ringtones, and they are well above 16kHz. even still, mp3's 192k or higher don't sound any different. get below 192, and i can tell that the higher freqs don't sound right. i rip my CD's at 224k anyway, because i have mad storage.
I have over a terabyte of storage. I rip at 192 AAC because it's better than 256k mp3, in terms of quality. But my point was Noir and Mohrds were saying that 320k mp3 is the best, but in reality it's actually pointless to encode that high. And again, 192Kb AAC= better than 256Kb mp3.

Quote:
besides, AAC sucks - the rest of the world uses mp3.
Actually the rest of the world is starting to use ogg. MP3 is the most widely used, but it's also the most dated compression format. 192Kb AAC > 256Kb mp3.

Quote:
if you think i'm gonna convert over 80Gigs of mp3 music to another format, you may have been mule-kicked in the head. i guess you would really have to compress that audio as much as possible, given that you're paying $600 for a whopping 8Gb of storage on the iPhone.
I wouldn't convert on format to another... you'd probably lose a lot of quality. I'd go straight from the source. But yeah, 8GB of storage = not a whole lot. I don't think it's meant to compete with the 80GB iPod that can hold your entire music collection in your pocket, but it WILL be more durable. I've gone through 3 iPods, that all died because of dead hard drives. A spinning magnetic disc in a portable device is a pretty horrible idea really. They just won't last in most situations. I'd rather have a 1 gig iPod nano than any hard drive based player ever again.

Quote:
so in conclusion, its about $100 worth of phone, and an extra $500 for the blingy screen?
Whatever man. You apple haters just love to make things out like that. The rest of the world is going to love it, and you'll keep hating it just because it has an apple logo and not a sony ericsson logo. Apple is one of the ONLY manufacturers that pushes the envelope of not WHAT something can do, but HOW it can do it.

PS: My PDA crashed 3 times over the last 1.5 weeks. Go microsoft.