View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 02:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Szalkerous
Cool Painting plastic interior panels

Okay, after much research and getting over the "I don't wanna go through the hassle of ripping everything out" feeling, I finally have started to paint my interior.

Let me be a bit more specific- I'm starting with the trim panel that surrounds the shifter, and working up. My "wood" trim panel there was highly scratched and very ugly, I tried covering it with vinyl, etc. All not satisfactory.

I came upon the Krylon FUSION paint (for plastics) in my travels and noticed that they had gloss black- the color I was looking for.

THIS IS THE STUFF!

After hesitantly sanding down the panel, and applying a few coats of this paint, I realized how different from typical spray paint it truly was. It is very thick and highly durable- will not crack, or chip. Dries very quickly to a nice shine. I am very pleased with the results of this. I have intentions of continuing to revitalize all my wood interior panels likewise. Luckily for me, I have the SVX off the road at the moment and can afford the time to gut the interior- which I did- to both repair and enhance the appearance.

Now I will have to remove the whole center dash to paint such things as the trim around the cigarette lighter. Does anyone have a service manual of how the dash trim goes together? Or a how-to?

Thanks all, and I will post a picture of the final product afterwards.

-Sz

Krylon FUSION weblink:

http://www.krylon.com/main/product_t...roduct_details