View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 08:30 AM

I continue to be amazed at the misconceptions that result from incomplete information and/or understanding thereof. It distresses me that such is then offered as advice.
Differentials are designed to allow the wheels to spin at different speeds. This is required whenever the vehicle is not traveling in a straight line and the wheel on the outside of the curve has to travel a longer distance than the inside one. In all cases, only one wheel in the front and one wheel in the rear are driven at a time. 4wd and AWD are really only 2WD and 2WD is really only 1WD.
The SVX has an open front differential. This type will allow the driven wheel to spin unrestricted by the state of the other wheel.
The SVX rear has a Limited Slip Differential. As with an open diff, only one wheel is driven at a time, but it has additional components that only allow the driven wheel to spin a limited amount faster than the undriven wheel. If the driven wheel exceeds this limit, the driven power is transfered to the slower wheel.
Although only one of the front wheels will be driven at any particular time, when the wheels are off the ground it is normal that both the front wheels spin. However, if any braking force is applied to either wheel exclusively, then it should stop and the other should keep turning.
In this case, the wheel that is not spinning has more resistance than the other. This might be as simple as a brake caliper that doesn't release as easily as the other one. It might be something to investigate, but has nothing to do with the stated problem.
OTOH, the rear wheels should both spin under power because of the LSD.

I have had a problem with similar symptoms. Dispite hours of searching and direct requests for help from several knowledgeable members, the exact problem remained somewhat of a mystery.
In my case. was coming from the rear drive transfer mechanism. This might be your problem as well, but you need to exclude 2 other sources, which may be more likely suspects.
If the FWD fuse does disengage the rear wheels and you still get the noise, you can exclude the rear driveshaft and rear differential.
If the FWD fuse doesn't disengage the rear wheels, your soleniod C is not working and you will need to remove the driveshaft to exclude the driveshaft and rear differential as potential sources of your noise. In my case, with the driveshaft installed, the noise, under the car, seemed to be coming from the rear diff. But, that wasn't the source.

Good luck.