View Single Post
Old 08-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody
Hi, just spoke with my tranny guy, job finished, car ready on Monday so I will have chance to test it next weekend. My story is: plates are OK, like new ones; potencial problem with tranfer valve (he said the same story like Harvey posted, so it is more common, I think), replaced bearing . As I remeber there are two bearings one let's say front and one rear. The rear one was completly dead wich caused some strange mechanical sound I was complaining as well. He told me he never saw this for 15 years he works on trannies. So cost of my repair is 130 USD in parts excl. labour. We will see how it works on the road next weekend.
Maybe I should test it on some wet grass
Petr
Everybody contributes something, thats what makes this place, such a good resource.

It'll be OK Petr.The bearing being unusually worn, may mean that at some time, the car may have been towed on one set of wheels. That happened to a member here, towed on the rear wheels, for a short distance and distroyed the planet gears, in the AWD diff.

If the front is lifted and towed on the back wheels, the rear wheels will drive the gearbox main shaft, through the planetary gears that were not designed to run that fast. The same will happen if it is towed on the front wheels. This VTD must be 'all up lifted'.

You could flat tow it for a short distance, say a couple of miles/ks, at no more than 30mph/50kph. The mainshaft is running without lube.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.