Thread: ABS Removal
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: ABS Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Well the ABS pretty much lets you preserve steering control under hard braking, so you can still swerve around obstacles instead of locking the brakes and skidding into it. For a snow car, ABS is pretty vital. As for removing it, the weight saved would be in the few pounds range....... and some secondary issues will arise, like the ABS light and the value of the car to prospective buyers (you never know). You also might want to check out any legal issues with modifying factory safety systems in your state.
ABS can legally be removed as long as insurance companies are notified. You also lose a relatively substantial amount of weight considering its location from the front wheels. The pump weighs a good 10lbs at least, couple lbs for the extra lines used and then a couple for the controller. Gram or two for the bulb in the dash too. I have to agree that the system in the SVX is a rapid fire and works very well for keeping the car under control. Used it quite a few times in hard braking(120->40) at Pocono and may have very well saved me from going off the course. It also works well in bad weather. So unless you are making a car for race purposes where a good driver is an ABS unit, I would leave it in the car

Tom