View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Shooting at Fort Hood

I wish this country's leaders had the guts to say the same things as Australian officials:

Quote:
PETER COSTELLO: What I've said is that this is a country, which is founded on a democracy. According to our Constitution, we have a secular state. Our laws are made by the Australian Parliament. If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you. This is not the kind of country where you would feel comfortable if you were opposed to democracy, parliamentary law, independent courts and so I would say to people who don't feel comfortable with those values there might be other countries where they'd feel more comfortable with their own values or beliefs.
Now, for those who are born in Australia, I'd make the same point. This is a country which has a Constitution. Under its Constitution, the state is secular. Under its constitution, the law is made by the parliament. Under its Constitution, it's enforced by the judiciary. These are Australian values and they're not going to change and we would expect people, when they come to Australia or if they are born in Australia, to respect those values.
Quote:
Prime Minister John Howard said on top of trying to promote Australian values in Islamic schools, the Government would monitor what was said in certain schools and mosques to ensure they did not foster terrorism.

Asked whether he was prepared to "get inside" mosques and schools to ensure there was no support for terrorism, Mr Howard was blunt. "Yes, to the extent necessary," Mr Howard told Southern Cross radio. "I have no desire and nor is it the Government's intention to interfere in any way with the freedom or practice of religion. We have a right to know whether there is, within any section of the Islamic community, a preaching of the virtues of terrorism, whether any comfort or harbour is given to terrorism within that community."
Sadly, those preaching tolerance towards any social group do not require same level of tolerance in return. I don't have a problem with any religion - there are probably representatives of all major religions among my co-workers. However, once somebody commits such mass murder, there should not be any leniency based on one's beliefs, ethnic origins, etc.

My sincere condolences to families of the deceased and wounded victims.