View Single Post
Old 02-12-2005, 04:52 AM
Roel Albers

tranny looses 2nd and 4th gear after high speed Autobahn

Hallo Chris,

after 2 wonderful weeks in the German and Austrian Alps with my second SVX, 1992 pearl original Germany delivered, We were travelling home yesterday over the Autobahn, fully loaded 3 people and luggage.
Chasing a 997 Porsche at 210 km/h , some 140 mph, I found that revs would stay above 6000 / minute, instead of falling back to about 4400 minute.

I could only conclude my 4th gear did not work anymore. All the same in 3rd of in D. Going back to 2nd gear at 50 mph would bring the revs up to 6000 again.

We decided to drive home to Holland slowly, late at night, with some 4000 revs and 70 - 80 mph. At home I dared to try the rest of the gears and could only conclude that 'all' work, but 2nd and 4th gear. No strange sounds, my wife thought she smelled something, but to me that was a fireplace in a house that we passed by. At home I smelled wax, but that should have been spoiled wax over the last polishing..... (how paranoid can you get?)

What should I check now and in what order? Of course I am worried about a tranny job coming up. 1st and 3rd gear give me driveability for now.

I bought the car 2 months ago in Germany, 50 k miles original, and had it serviced with all new and best available fluids , including all belts changed. It drives like new, but I did notice slow gear changes upwards.

Thanks for any intelligence here.

Roel Albers