View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 AM

You guys need to understand that few people take their cars to a race track, nor do they have the skill and experience to push any car to its limits in a safe and controlled manner. Stability control, ABS and whatnot are designed to assist the average driver, which is to say, most of us.

It's also worth remembering that most every driver on the planet has a way of over-estimating his or her driving ability.

The other day my daughter was telling me of having to disengage the traction/stability control system on her Kia minivan in order to negotiate a muddy, backwoods mountain road. With no wheel spin, she couldn't build any momentum for an uphill grade. Nice touch that it can be switched off.

The biggest problem I see with the increasing load of onboard stuff is the associated cost, both upfront and in repairs. But weigh that against the many thousands of lives saved over the years by safety improvements, going all the way back to padded dashboards and energy-absorbing steering columns and fold-away door handles.

dcb