Thread: The SVX and you
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
look like a leprechaun to me

Re: The SVX and you

There is nothing more expensive than a "cheap" SVX. I bought mine for $1k in January needing "nothing but a MAF and a new transmission" according to the previous owner. Familiar story to some on the board, I'm sure. Long story short, I have spent roughly $5000 - $5500 since then just bringing it back from the brink, and I'm far from done. I didn't know it at the time, but it was basically in "parts car" condition when I got it. I feel most would have either scrapped it or parted it out if they had ended up with it and assessed all of the work needed to make it a reliable driver again.

On one hand, I'm glad that another is saved from the scrap heap. But on the other hand - given the money I've spent on it - I could have bought a beautiful SVX with half the mileage and very little work needed in the first place, and had plenty of cash left over to boot.

My car is finally at the point where it is in acceptable (to me) running shape. All major work that still remains to be done mechanically (at least for now) is to reseal the front of the motor, replace belts and crank pulley (all of this will be done this weekend) and track down an annoying EGR problem which has popped up in the last week. Non-essential things still on the to-do list include replacing the doors, having some minor bodywork done, and finally getting a fresh paint job. When all is said and done, I'll probably have close to $10k into it - but at least it'll be a good, solid, presentable car again.

To all potential buyers - save yourself the trouble. Spend more money at the start on a well-cared for car, rather than a "bargain" fixer-upper. You'll thank yourself later.