View Single Post
Old 03-10-2006, 02:19 PM

As with any older car: If you want reliability, replace stuff before it breaks. Establish a tight service schedule for changing fluids, belts, hoses, filters and pumps (based on the warranty booklet data as well as your own experience), and stick to it no matter what. If you're replacing the timing belt, go ahead and get the water pump, thermostat and bypass hose while you're at it. Whenever I experience a part failure, I figure 75% of the elapsed mileage before that part gets replaced again. That may sound a bit extreme, but I've driven old cars all my life, and I don't like surprises.

Yes, change the ATF and filter(s) often, and adding a cooler sure won't hurt. Beyond that, with an automatic, you just never know. As to other SVX trouble spots such as rear wheel bearings, alternators and radiators, there's not much you can do except keep a keen eye (and ear) out for early symptoms of impending failure.

And I'll second Earthworm: If you thrash your SVX it'll probably turn right around and bite you in the wallet. Good luck.

dcb