View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Finally, new brakes...

My poor SVX has needed new rotors for years. They were badly warped and made the car a whole lot of no fun to drive. So I didn't. In the past four years I've put maybe 2500 miles on the car - most of that probably going to and from Indy for the USGP.

In early Spring I emailed Dayle and asked him for a quote for new rotors, pads and lines. He gave me a decent price, shipped, and I said I'd order them.

Then I made him wait for six months. Hey, it's how I roll. The rotors had only been bad for three and a half years...no rush.

I finally ordered the parts last month and installed them last weekend. Plated and slotted rotors, Raybestos 'professional' pads and some unmarked stainless lines.

In short, it's a different car, but my brakes were so bad I could have put on used parts and felt an improvement. I'm not overly thrilled with the pads (the pedal is firm, but I seem to have to apply a lot of pressure), but the parts probably aren't broken in enough.

Even though I've owned this car for eight years now, I've never done any work on the brakes myself. I was a little alarmed to have seen three different types of grease lubricating the slides on the calipers. I'm pretty sure none of those were the right kind.

Anyway, it's a nice car to drive again. I have lots of work ahead of me (leaky water pump, I need new tires, etc), but I get a big smile again when I think, 'hey, I'll take the SVX.'

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE