View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Yeah, Phil, I have posted this a number of times as well. I compared a number of tanks of fuel though, not just the one, Power mode permanently on, or switched off [which was on demand, really ]

I got 2 mpg difference once, but only one mpg difference for two or three tanks. Same as you, I eventually left it switched on, full time.

In fairness to Cosykat, driving a US car or a standard UK car with Power mode on all the time would be very sore on juice!! The only way you can do that is with your foot to the floor all the time. It could be hazardous to your life, your license, your sanity and your freedom [cops would lock you up]

For anyone who has not driven the Japanese model with the switch for turning on the Power mode shift map, the principal difference in driving is the gearbox will hold the lower gears for longer, rather than slipping up into the next higher gear at 1200 or 1400 rpm.

This does not give any magic extra power, as has been suggested in the dim past. However, it does feel better to drive, because the engine revs being higher drive the axles with more torque. As I said, the only penalty [with my driving style anyway] is 1 to 2 mpg heavier consumption.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl