View Single Post
Old 12-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Rear wheels not spinning - transfer clutches?

Quote:
Originally posted by gcookaustin
This past week I've noticed that my AWD is definitely not working. I found a big sheet of ice left over from the snowstorm a week ago and revved it up going across it with my door open; no turning of the rear wheels. No CHECK ENGINE or blinking POWER lights either. I took it to the Subaru place, and they insisted it was working just fine and let me go, so I took it to an AAMCO where they put it up on a rack and noted that the rear wheels were not turning. They said that the only trouble code was a vehicle speed sensor and that the driveshaft was just fine, but that they weren't familiar with the car (surprise? ) and that their SVX guy wouldn't be back 'til later. If there is no electronic problem with it, does that leave only transfer clutches as the culprit? Thanks,
VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR? if it was the front one the speedo would not work. If it was the rear one the transfer clutch would be applied. This one is also used to supply the 'governor pressure' for the change points, so they may be off.

Most likely it is mechanical, either the C solenoid has jammed up, or the clutch plates have worn out.
Doesn't make much difference, same amount of work in the same place. $300?

Don't spin them up too much, till you get it fixed, to protect the front diff.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.