View Single Post
Old 12-14-2002, 09:15 PM
CopsodyX

My first experience with the SVX in the snow:

AWESOME!!!

We got 11" of snow in one day here in LI NY, and I took it out in the morning when there was about, say, 5" on the ground. The plow had made a kind of 20" wall against my car, but i just put the keys in, warmed it up, left all the defoggers on, came out 5 minutes later, and put the wipers on...and it was ready.

Put it in drive, press the gas, and it just CRASHED through that wall of snow. Everything was awesome, can track perfectly straight if you want, but go to a turn and push the gas a bit and the end just slides out...its so fun. From a stop, turn your wheel all the way to one side, punch the gas, and watch the car do doughnuts faster and faster. Going up a grade in my area that most 4 cyl cars cant even get up in perfect weather was no problem for the SVX.

The only problem was coming to a stop. The brakes really terrified me. From 10 MPH to completely stopped, took maybe 5 seconds with the ABS going faster then I ever heard it. It wasn't always that bad, but it was definitely...uncomfortable.

Also, I think its important we all say what tires were on our cars for these experiences. Mine are stock sized Toyo FZ4 Proxies. All season, cheap, wear well, quiet...best i've ever seen in any car...takes a LOT to make them squeal.

PS - My moms Quattro needed to be partially dug out. Yup, the SVX could break through the snow, but an A6 can't...hmmmmmm.

Also, funny moment. This woman with a Pathfinder around the block from me was trying to get out of her driveway. Her rear tires were spinning like crazy. So I was thinking, what a loser...what a poser to buy an SUV with no 4WD...thats the whole point! So I drove over to her and said "Hi...is your 4WD broken?" and she said "Oh hi hun...I don't know how to turn it on! (preceded to laugh)...my husband takes care of all that technical stuff for me." And then I told her how to do it, and she looked at the transfer case, and said "Oh dear...this is too complicated for me...imagine if I break something! No, i'll just leave it alone." And I was like okay bye. Then I went home and watched her for an hour try to make it up the block...****ing idiot lol .