View Single Post
Old 02-06-2003, 10:06 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Well that is not good news. Is it more of a metallic higher pitched noise tock-tock-tock or does it sound more muffled like a chunk-chunk-chunk-chunk?

I am not sure how you would decide if it was rod bearing, wrist pin or valve adjuster.

I think the noise in the wrist pin and valve adjuster is effected by the cold oil more. It is harder for the oil to flow into these parts when the engine and oil are cold. Have you tried a 10w-30 syn oil? The 5W-30 is not recommended for the highway.

The rod bearing would be making the noise if the clearance was large. The thunk is the con rod smacking the crank. This larger clearance would allow more oil to flow out of the bearing and I think this would get noisier when the oil got hotter.
Well, it truly goes away when the engine warms up so my diagnosis my be off. It is not muffled at all, I expect a piston to fly through the fender when I leave a stop sign. I run 5w-30 but do mostly city driving over the last few months. I have never run synthetic in the engine, always penzoil 5w30 or 10w30 back when I used to commute with it.

I will absolutely get it fixed, that's not even in question. My only question is will it make it to Reading or should I have a new motor swapped in prior to the 1800 mile trek. I am having the oil pump changed at the end of this month, but I'm going to have the mechanic look and listen to the clank/clunk before he spends the time on it.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker