Thread: tranny resistor
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2006, 04:03 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
Trevor

I won't argue with you because you have much more experience than I and you are quoting the Bible (Subaru Manual).

I only know what happened with my car. My transmission was very 'firm' when it shifted between gears and almost 'clunked' into gear when I went from neutral to reverse or drive. When I tested my original resistor it read 0 ohms (shorted, not open). When I installed a 10 ohm resistor purchased at my local electronics parts store, the transfer between gears softened.

Dan
Dan,

What you report is indeed strange. A resistor will usually go open circuit in the event of a fault, as it is physically near impossible for a short to occur without some external conductor being involved.

Did you make your measurement while the resistor remained connected to the car wiring ? Could it be that you were reading infinity in lieu of zero ohms as this could be an easy mistake to make.? Do you still have the faulty resistor ?

The 10 ohms resistor which you have installed is of course within the specifications and you have fixed things properly.

Please be sure that I am trying to assist rather than argue. Particularly to be sure others are not led in the wrong direction. What is more there are still some unanswered questions regarding this circuit.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!