View Single Post
Old 01-24-2006, 07:23 AM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX
Your thougts ...

Sorry in advance for the long post.

O.K. I want some opinions here. During the auto to manual trans swap, I had the front section of an Outback DS shortened 3/4". When I took it to the driveline shop, Driveline service of N. Atlanta, they said it would be $65 to shorten and balance it. So I dropped it off an waited.

Later that afternoon, I went to pickup the DS and the guy at the counter said "thatal' be $130". I said "What! You said it would only be $65 to shorten and balance it." I was pissed. He said they told be it would be $65 to shorten and an additional $65 to balance. They did no such thing. Long story short, they unhappily charged me only $65. I picked up the DS off the counter and went on my disgruntled way.

When I picked up the DS I noticed they left some metal fragments in the tube before welding it back up. Did'nt think much of it at the time. Got the install finished and have been driving for the last couple weeks. Everything is great...Except…

Now everytime I start or stop and my little DS starts to spin, the little metal fragments pop around inside the tube such that it sounds like someone ringing a damn little bell. ARG!

Question is: Would you take it back to the shop that said they would'nt give you any warranty because they said the u-joints were bad. U-Joints are not bad at all! The shop that was pissed that they let you go on $65. The shop that did sloppy work to begin with? Would you find another shop? any suggestions? Or would you live with it, insulate your transmission tunnel hoping to quiet the irritating ringing, and move on with your life.

I know this may sound trivial but I spent so much damn time making this thing right that it just kills me that the only piece of work I farmed out came back crappy!