View Single Post
Old 11-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by rayford
oab_au,,, what you are saying makes sence to me.. I wouldn't think if tread wear , unless maybe an extreme amount would damage the drive train very quickly,, obviously , all the tires should be the same size and have reasonably the proper pressure. I am not familiar with the SVX awd system but in general, if you run different size tires ,that makes the spider gears be in motion all the time and of course they are mainly supposed to only turn when cornering or if one wheel is not getting good traction. As I said ,, SVX might be different, I am used to the old Ford and Chevy four wheel drive pickups and they will work even if the bearings are about worn out .. but the shop seems to be very convinced that it is a serious problem.. Maybe it is ,, that is why I wanted other people's opinions that know, because I really don't ,,, Thanks.
Vernon.
The US car uses a transfer clutch only, in the center, No diff.
The rear wheels, or front to rear wheels, won't make any difference to the front diff. Only a difference in the front wheels, as these wheels have the most difference in rotation when turning at full lock. Thats why they don't have a LSD in the front.

I reckon they made a balls up when they refitted the front diff thats in the transmission housing, and yes, they had to pull the front diff down to do the transmission.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.