View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 04:44 PM

Which is more collectible

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
The SVX was built and sold in Japan from 1991.

For all other markets the car was on sale from 1992 to 1997, when it was deleted as a model by Subaru. By the sound of things, nearly everybody here would like to own a 20,000 mile '97 SVX. However, I have a question;

From the point of view of originality and collectability, which of the following is better?

A 1992 SVX with 20,000 miles

A 1997 SVX with 20,000 miles

[I already know which is harder to find]

Joe
Hello Joe,

I would say for the cause of collectability the first and last years of production hold the most value and are most desired by collectors. This is of coarse not considering things like limited production editions, rare colors, or rare performance options like the american muscle cars of teh 60's and 70's. In the case of the case of the SVX, since there wee really only two trim options (aside from AWD or not) it would come down to the 1st and last years and the anniversary edition in 93 (I think) would too demand more in the future. Now what would maybe set apart the 97's from 92's would be how many of each year was produced making one more rare than the other. An example of this are the 93 to 95 Mazda RX7's. There were only some 500 to 600 95's produced for the US and today the demand the most dollars having been the least produced year and the last combined into one.

But in the end, and again, 1st and last plus the anniversary editions are the tops in my books. In the case of the SVX, its low numbers, and all years not really having any differences, all are pretty close and ultimately things like the condition inside and out, historical maint. records, how many owners, and miles will be more valuable than a 92 or 97 year.

Regards

Max