View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 06:37 PM
SEA Sleeper

Welcome to the network and congradulations on your purchase. I've never seen a '92 w/ such low miles. I'm definately happy for you.

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
Given that you've probably got the original radiator in the car, this means it has the infamous "screen" in it which has been pointed at as contributing to the collection of "junk" in the ATF flow and clogging - thus eliminating any cooling to the ATF (= toasted trans). This typed, you might want to consider installing the remote B&M cooler in place of the cooler in the radiator.
-Bill
This is a very good point however bypassing the stock cooler does have an ill effect.

The ATF cooler portion of the radiator serves two purposes:
1) Reduce ATF temps
2) To help warm ATF in cold weather

During winter months you may have a hard time getting your ATF fluid warm and thus preventing the TC from locking as it needs to be a certain warm temp. I don't know what the temperature is specifically but I do know that bypassing the screen is not the best idea as far as AT longevity. I suggest you do install an auxilary cooler in series w/ the sotck ATF cooler.

Also, you may not know this but your SVX being a '92 most likely had a campaign filter added to your ATF lines just before the cooler. Many members have replaced this w/ the B&M Canister type for reasons of parts availability and ease of replacement (B&M takes less than 10 min to do the complete job; it's like an oil filter).

Lastly I would like to advise against power flushing your transmission as I experienced trans. failure less than 60 days after having one done on my SVX. Cost of a refurb. 4EAT from Subaru is nearly $4K. I suggest draining and replacing what you can drain from the ATF pan somewhat periodically.

Last edited by SEA Sleeper; 01-17-2005 at 01:33 AM.