Thread: ecu stg 2?
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Re: ecu stg 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
The short answer to your question is yes. But it's not that simple, it never is.

The stock block will hold the pressure but it is uncharted territory as regards whether the stock water pump and the stock water passages will cool the engine sufficiently. Racing SVXes have shown this to be a weak area.

To get 500 whp means you have to boost to 500 + 25% to get over transmission losses. This in turn means 22 lbs + 25% or so, which is nearly 30 lbs. For the most part this means you can forget about superchargers, it will be turbochargers only. This amount of intake pressure will need a good special intercooler, as Subaru ones can split at these pressures.

On the positive side, if you change to a 5 or 6 speed you can rev to beyond the 5400 rpm the 500 figure was calculated from. This will make your theoretical max hp figure easier to achieve, particularly with better breathing from the improved cams and valves you are talking about.

If you are actually going for a pressure charge rebuild, then be conservative and realistic about what your max hp can be, rather than what you would like it to be for bragging rights or whatever reason. It's OK to dream, but dreaming with money in your hand is a dangerous business. Better to be realistic about what you can achieve.

You mention above about the cheap route regards different pistons and rods. I respect what you mean, it's reasonable to plan work within budget.

Be very aware there is no 'cheap route' to 500 whp. It's just not happening.

Best of luck with it. Keep us posted on progress.

Joe

well i looked at another thread about pricing for cams. i dont think i want to spend that much just for cams till after i have my turbo setup. (the cam money could go towards the stg 2 ect) i really want to port my heads but i dont have much experince in porting and i would hate to do it wrong and make the flow worse.

ill definatly keep you guys updated, i might make a turbo buid thread but im not sure yet, as of right now im tearing down the whole engine. and its not for an svx haha