Thread: SVX at MPG
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM

SVX at MPG

As an automotive journalist in Los Angeles, I belong to MPG, the Motor Press Guild. Our active members are either working (published) journalists or automotive PR people. Every November, for the past 28 years, we hold “Track Day.” Essentially, it’s the world’s biggest toy box. We go to Rosamond, 80 miles north of Los Angeles in the high Mojave desert, and there, at Willow Springs Raceway, the various manufacturers have supplied 118 of their latest models for us to taste. They are split up, about half available for laps on the 2.5 mile road course, the other half available for driving along routes set up on high desert back roads. The first day is also set up with “comparos” at which we rotate quickly through similar vehicles, to grasp their similarities/differences.
OK, so why am I writing this? On the second day, there is a “Show and Shine,” to which members are in-vited to bring their automotive pride-and-joys, so everyone can see them. Trophies are offered in three cate-gories; Best of Show; Most Unique; and Oldie but Goodie. I put my ’92 SVX Ls L into show and shine, and was surprised on returning from the last test drive of the day, 20 road miles in the new Lexus IS-F, to find that I had won the Most Unique!
On the trip up and back, 80-some miles of freeway, cruising at 75-80 mph, I averaged 25 mpg, and realized again what a superb cruiser the SVX is.
Here are some pictures of the occasion:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Worlds-biggest-toy-box-is-ready_MG_9614_DXO.jpg (14.6 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg Show-and-Shine-entrants_MG_9627_DXO.jpg (21.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg With-trophy_MG_9643_DXO.jpg (16.2 KB, 222 views)
'93 Mercury (Aussie) Capri