Thread: Lime Rock
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 08:44 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Lime Rock

Did a time trial yesterday at Lime Rock. Relatively short track, 1.53 miles, but very deceptive. Would have to say that some of the turns are truly evil. But the setting is truly beautiful. Here is a map:

Start of my second lap. Coming into Big Bend for the first time at speed. Something north of 100 mph at the end of the main straight. You can't really see the decrease in radius and the required double apex of the turn, until you are well into it. So, first time around, cold tires, cold track, in the turn way too hot. Not thinking track thoughts yet. First impulse, brake. Rear end comes around as fast as a snake. Next thing I know I'm heading across the grass, 70+ mph, sideways, backwards, sideways again. Slide to a stop about 5 ft from the tirewall protecting the scoreboard. Lost my virginity, but no damage except for pride and confidence. Former stayed lost. Latter came back a little bit over the day.

Three views of the Esses. I'm obviously #48 with the taped up lights and no grille:

No Name Straight. As you can see, lots of different cars. The Legacy GT wagon was fast. Non-stock exhausts. Maybe some other mods. Event was shared with Northeast Corvair Club, so that why Corvairs:

A couple of shots of the West Bend:

A couple of really cool things about the day. Met John Fitch and talked to him for a while Really cool guy. 89 years old. Flew Mustangs in WWII. Shot down a Messerschmidt jet. Blue water sailor. Created an extensive set of mods for Corvairs. Very successful race car driver. Comes to the track in his red 1994 SVX LS-i. We talk SVX's. He loves them. I tell him about my mods. He likes it. Tells me he is having a high idle problem. Tell him he needs to log onto the net and get some advice.

Then comes the Time Trial. Confidence is back a little. My best time was 1:15.1, average about 75mph. Not great, but not bad for a noobie. Best time for CART this year at Lime Rock for F/SP (my class) was 1:14.5. Won first in class since I was an only this time. Tricked out Evo had best time of day. Full race cage, extensive engine mods, 400 whp. Racing tires, racing driver. 58+ seconds. Average about 92 mph. You can't touch that. Viper did a header into the tire wall at the start of the straight. Needs a new hood. At $18,500 list, his hood costs $100 more than my entire car with all mods. Bet I'm having more fun.

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold