View Single Post
Old 05-25-2003, 07:47 PM
SVXdriver_007

that was a bit to think about.

Speaking for the sub 40 (26), centralist, white (but raised in a interacial family and an orphanage), fairly new member point of view....

I came to this site due to my interest in the SVX but quickly learned that the site is much more than a site about a car. It's a gathering of people who for may the only common link is the car. I have MANY varied interests but I find myself coming here more than other forums simply because the company is generaly good. I think that most of us choose to be tolerant of other people weather we agree with their views or not, its basic psychological resiprocity. occasionally I have disagreed with someone to the point of actually replying with a degree of anger, I'm honestly not sure I'm sorry for it, just that it may have offended someone else. generally though if I don't like something I just move on because like what you said whats gained by trashing somone.

I personally like the board as is. I think the moderators will moderate when needed and the "riff-raff" will leave as soon as they realize ther just isn't anything here for them.

I think everyone needs to choose not to be egocentric, and know that there view is certainly not the only one. One must understand that since all we do here is read or write (type) it makes it very easy to "read into" something you or someone else wrote. And also as sad as it is the internet is like alcohol it turns peoples alias's into 6'5" 300lb ninjas with no ihibition who will take advantage of the fact that they never actully have to look you in the eye when they make there comments. The best practice I think when you read soemthing you don't loke is to hit the back button and check the next thread. I won't say i always make that choice myself though.

to adress a few of the original comments that started this thread.

Quote:
But we have to face it that there is a new group coming in more and more, and they are not going to think like us. They are going to pick up that 92 SVX for $3000 instead of the Civic, because the SVX looks cool to them. Then they are going to "rice" the heck out of it.
or maybe they'll see the SVX as a more unique car that is truly worth there time to work on. Everytime I see the word "rice" i cringe because "rice" is a word used to describe any modification done that the person using the word doesn't like. (I also think it is border line a racial slur but I'll leave that alone). The SVX is a beutiful car sock but there are many people have IMO very fine examples of modified cars, INCLUDING Earl (who jealousy of has driven me close to hate).

Quote:
A new member joins and posts pictures of their SVX they have modified extensively. They are pretty proud of it and have spent a lot of time and money on making it just what they have dreamed of. But the car is ugly as sin........ Does the good name of the SVX gain anything by you telling him that the SVX was perfect in stock form and he's committed sacrilege?
People that feel that way need to check there priorites. Maybe I'm not as big a fan as I thought I was...but who gets to decide what "ugly as sin " is, the moderators, the President (owns a modded svx by the way)...and at what point does it become sacralilege, cup holder, head unit, wheels, lowered, cf hood, headlights, 5 speed....who gets to decide that?

As far as OT posts, does it really bother people to talk about things other than the SVX? I hope not because its all been discussed at least once just ask the search "police". And what is the required post count before it is acceptable to post OT things. Granted there is a level of etiquette(sp?) that we should attempt to adhere to but again who decides what that is?

I'm not trying to argue about this just offer up my point of views on this, changing the rules will do nothing but give a moderator more things to type up as there will never be a standard everyone will agree upon, as i want "my SVX site" to run a certain way and it probably won't be the same as everyone else reading this. I think the moderators will do a good job of keeping the course true (them or uncle mitch) the rest of us must simply agree to disagree sometimes (so cliche but so true) and if doing that puts me out of my said "comfort zone" then I guess then perhaps I move on...I'll always have my car.

Shane

again the Shane figure of merit dictates that the more I type the more mistakes I will make. I'd apologize but its mathematical law.