View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 02:37 PM
$1 is just $1, but $2 = nachos

Re: A few questions about my new SVX...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
So I finally had a chance to lift the front end up and wiggle everything around. Nothing feels out of place. Ball joints seem solid, tie rod ends look like hell but they're not loose. There is a bit of play in the steering however, and it appears that I have a small leak somewhere in the steering system, most likely coming from the rack itself.

Finally got a couple pictures too. They're camera phone pics, but they give you the general idea at least.
Is there any p/s fluid leaking at the pump/reservoir? A leaky gasket there can result in the pump sucking air which results in a shuddering feeling as the power assist level varies with the bubbles pumping through the system. I just replaced that o-ring on my car and what I thought was a bad rack and/or pump has totally gone away.

However, I don't think that leak would have anything to do with the wandering you're seeing. That just sounds like an alignment issue, unless of course it's the strut-tops or ball joints, but you said things seem solid.

For reference, here's the o-ring I'm talking about, it's on the under side of the P/S reservoir: