View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE1221
I pretty much re-did the whole brake system: remanufactured calipers, rotors, lines and pads all the way around.

Lugs are torqued to 90 ft lbs.

Fluid was just bled again.

It would stink to have to replace the rotors... they still look relatively new!
Tim, if you have recently had a puncture fixed, or a wheel balanced, you often find the garage will torque on the wheel improperly using the air tool and sequentially tightening each lugnut. They should only be tightened in the sequence 1-3-5-2-4.
Also, they should be hand tightened in the air first, then the car lowered, and finish tightened in the same sequence.

If you are hauling it up hard from high speed, you might well have warped them again, likely the front if anything. If there is a way you can get the car jacked up, spinning the wheels with a friend to help will show which rotor is warped. Spin the wheel, apply the brake very easy, and if it is warped, it will possibly catch and let go once or twice on every turn. If it's pulling even, the rotors are not warped.

Now if you find doing this that one or more of your rotors have warped, and if they look nearly new as you say, then you should consider having the rotor "shaved" dynamically at a machine shop.

I got that done very cheaply for mine and it was a success.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl