Thread: Light Knock
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
It may be as simple as low-octane fuel. Especially as the weather warms up, the knocking from lower octane will get louder... use the highest octane you can get in your area... and even if you're curious dump a container of octane booster into your fuel tank to make sure any existing low-octane fuel has been "boosted".

I know I saw the same problem with my 94; the previous owner had filled it with 87 octane frequently and the stealership I bought it from "filled it up for me" when I picked up the car... of course with 87. I drove it for a day before I took it to the gas station, topped it off with 93 octane AND dumped a bottle of booster into the tank. The knocking vanished and I never heard it again.

Also, be aware that it may not necessarily be knocking. Use a stethoscope to track down the source properly. I thought I had a knock until I did this, then found that one of my fuel injectors was causing a very "knock-like" noise at idle. Replaced injector, no problems.

As an aside, I know all the nearby stations I can get 93 octane... most of the cheapo stations sell 91!

My Rides:
Red 1996 SVX LSi (Saffron)
2007 Yamaha FJR1300 (Kaitlin)

Previously owned; green '95 L AWD (sold), black/pearlie '94 LSi (too many problems), Polo Green '96 SVX LSi (apparently notThe end of an era)

Member #2 in the Yahoo! club, been here since the beta-testing days. In dire need of a cheaper hobby.