View Single Post
Old 09-03-2002, 09:25 PM
gcookaustin

How much is too much oil?

Since my engine is leaking out the front, I figured I'd go and see yesterday what level it was at. I was kinda parked on a slight grade but wasn't really thinking it would matter, and it was just above the low mark. So I filled it up with a quart of oil. Now, after remembering I do retarded things with this car I looked at it again after it had been sitting for a while on LEVEL ground, and the oil is about 3/4 of an inch above the stick (right above the notch on the outside edge of the dipstick, above the max mark. I tried siphoning some of it out, and got maybe a 1/4 of a quart (a sixteenth? ) out but I think I got as much spit into the engine as I did oil out, and I have a bad taste in my mouth now. Should I drain the remaining 3/4 of a quart out tomorrow, or will it matter? I don't have ramps up here so I figured the siphoning thing would work, but it didn't work so well. I put MaxLife in it, so maybe if it pushes past the seals even more it'll hurry up and soften them up, so I won't have to change them after all? maybe not..