View Single Post
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM

Re: SVX & gps today, 4,22 20121

dromano: Have never considered a gps for my SVX, the time has come to do it. What are the considerations beyond the titanium oxide coated windshield? How much does it matter if the windshield is over 20 years old?

1. Best gps? Garmin works great for me. Hardly affected at all with the windshield. The one I had origionally, Megellen, I had to hold out the window to get satellites.

2. Do I need a trunk mounted antenna? NO

3. Does power from the cig lighter extend the hours of use? Definitely need it to be plugged in to the lighter if you are spending much time on the road..

I have a Garmin and bought the lifetime map up-dates for it. I also have the http://www.phantomalert.com/ that audibly warns me of any speed traps, speed cameras, school zones, red light cameras, that are ahead...all kinds of stuff!

I tried it mounted in several different places, but for me just to the left of the rear view mirror with the suction cup, and down a tiny bit works best. I see no advantage in having to look down instead of ahead at the road and traffic. So... all those things combined are very efficient additions to my driving safety.

One thing really I miss about the Megellen... When I reached my destination, a nice soft girl voice would always say, "You have arrived" I seriously miss that. No one ever told me that before!!

Hope this helps!

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 04-22-2012 at 08:49 PM.