Thread: Tires
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
A good all-season recommendation would be welcome.

I try to do Summers/Snows... but I am just not sure that I can afford it for the SVX right now...

I would prefer to have a cheap set of 16 wheels and snows, and a nice set of 17"s and summers... But I am not sure that in 10 months or so, that I would be able to buy a whole set of wheels and tires for the car, after putting snows on.

Plus the OE wheels would need to keep their weird, rare lug nuts, when I would prefer to go with one set of McGard spline-drive bearing conical-seat lugs, like my Legacy uses now...

So... for now, I think the OE wheels are gonna have to get some good all-season rubber in a few months. The Toyo T1-Rs on the car are good tires, but the fronts are knackered on the outboard shoulders, and the left rear is plugged from a nail hole, which created a wheel-stud and lug nut replacement adventure... I like the Toyos, and I have a set of them on the Miata.

But I am thinking I probably need something that is pretty darn good in the winter, and a decent touring tire otherwise. I find myself driving the SVX a bit more leasurely than my Legacy GT... not that the SVX doesn't have the power... it just lends itself to touring type driving.

Anybody have any good luck with an all-season that is good in the white-stuff, and competent and quiet otherwise?
I can honestly say first hand that I had Goodyear assurance triple treads on my 95 FWD cutlass and it drove amazing in rain, snow/ice and dry. They are expensive so i'm sure there is something that is as good for less.