View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Headed to VIR June 13,14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivemusicnow View Post
I have to disagree with the valvoline synthetic. It works for low speed stuff, but it's really not comparable for road course stuff.

ATE is a 392/536* brakefluid which you can find for 10$ a liter... The valvoline synthetic is a 311/480 and costs about 5$ for just over half a liter. the old synpower stuff was the same cost with some better stats (343/543) but I'm not sure you can find that anymore because it was discontinued.

As someone else mentioned, the r-comps aren't a great idea either. That much grip with the super weak springs of the SVX leads to corner exit wheel hop like no other. I even get it with my azenis with my SVX.

Just noticed he mentioned "coilovers" in which case he might have enough spring to hold the tires against the pavement, but I do not know anything about those firestone tires.. maybe picking up some r-comps wouldn't be such a bad idea.
The Synpower is what we run (didn't know it was discontinued). We have never had an issue with it and have even broken a rear caliper due to heat but had no fade.

No I wouldn't recommend it for someone who planned a track only car but for one track event it should be more than acceptable.

As for the r-comps. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead with 18 inch rims on a track. I'm just too cheap to throw away good money for pimping tires. I used set of 1/2 life r comps (though not ideal) are a better investment assuming he still has his stock rims then cooking crappy firestones of the 18 inch variety plus it is cheaper than as shotgun said summer tires in a 16.

I agree that r-comps can be quite the handful for the novice drivers (and SVXride) but for $200-+ you won't find a better tire with more predictable results at track speeds.