View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 07:52 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by amuse
Well this is certainly interesting if not bizarre!

Thanks for that How-To link, only it doesn't explain what the crush is technically achieving?

Also, this problem has never ever surfaced before - if it was the ECU wouln't it have been there all along?

No, the problem with the ECU comes up after you have had it for a while. See, here is what happens....subaru designed the SVX to be a touring luxury car. Therefore they didn't want it taking off like a bullet, but rather to have it gradually accelerate (one of peoples biggest gripes about the SVX ironically enough) so what they did to ensure the SVX would be gradual like they wanted was to design the chip to only let a certain amount of current pass though the ECU when you accelerate. Thats what that little metal bead is supposed to do, dissapate the current going through the wire. When that starts going bad then you when you try to accelerate from a dead stop (especially if you need to accelerate quickly) the car will lag and act almost like it is going to stall, then suddenly take off. At least thats what it did on mine. I think in this instance that the gas has absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

If i were you I would at least dig out the ECU and see if yours has the little bead on the wire. If your SVX is one that has that still i would go ahead and do the crush mod. Trust me, your SVX will me 10 times more responsive and will accelerate faster overall after getting rid of it.

Hope this helps.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.