View Single Post
Old 09-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Rough running

Hi Sergi

Just a couple of points on your problem, hope they can help you.

First, the plugs. My understanding, they are designed specifically for the SVX, the gap is perfect from the factory, and they should not be adjusted. Further, I do not even think you should touch the electrodes at all on platinum plugs. You may have inadvertently caused some of them to misfire.

Trevor's advice is good and logical, so check out the possibility of an electrical short first. Also, there is a very recent thread on the Down Under forum, where a member had your problems, and traced it to a duff coil. However, in his case, the problem got worse when hot, so yours is different.

Mine recently showed a code 32, but it was only a loose connection after tranny out operation. Did you try clearing the engine codes when you replaced the O2 sensor?

Strange you mention temp gauge at half mast. This would indicate your engine running too cool, any chance your thermostat is stuck in the open position? This would cause poor consumption if so.

Lastly, General Troubleshooting Table says the following for rough idling, most likely culprit first:
ECU power supply
By-pass air control solenoid valve.
Air flow sensor.

As number three on the list, the air flow sensor, is the one you admit to touching, maybe this is the one to check. Carefully clean it with a cotton bud dipped in solvent, they give strange readings if oil gets on them. Do not damage it, they are $$$$$-ive.

Best of luck, and to Theo also.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl