Thread: D or 3 ?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Thanks Joe,

The extreme front rear/bias reported in respect of the US cars, is rather strange and would account for the under steer criticism. If this could be brought more towards 50/50, possibly these cars could be transformed and I have an idea in this regard.

My second still unanswered and open question:-

Exactly how is there a torque split (front/rear) during normal driving, when there is no wheel slip, and as I understand it, only a clutch involved (in the US system) in respect of torque distribution?

i.e. When a US SVX is travelling in a straight line with all wheels rotating at the same speed, drive to the front, and a clutch transmitting power directly to the rear with no clutch slip.
My pet theory, and it's just that, is that the "torque split" is the Hype you mention. It's more like "duty cycle release" as the Duty C increases, or decreases its pulse width. Theoretically this would create a torque split, but only in the broadest sense. Rather than being true AWD it's an electronically coupled 4wd. Any time the transfer clutch is engaged it's 50/50, I'm guessing that in a straight line, with no slip, the Duty C is operating at 10% cycle closed, 90% cycle open. That's why some of the XT6'ers can put a switch on the Duty C solenoid to "lock" the transfer clutch. NOT something I'd want to monkey with personally.

Just my opinions, for what they're worth.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.