View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 12:30 AM
My car/My project: red '96 LSi

Arrow No More Droop -- Nice Tight Visors

After some trial and error I have gotten LokiDad's visor fix to work perfectly! Here are a few additions and modifications to the instructions:

Get the inserts
First, the part you're looking for is the Hillman 3/8" brass wood insert, the largest one in the assortment. I found it at Lowe's in the hardware section, in one of the specialty fastener drawers (containing "furniture nuts"). They were about $1.50 each. The little plastic baggie it comes in is marked:
Quote:
HILLMAN
3/8-16
Wood Insert Nuts
Brass

UPC: 0 08236 70943 8
Get a tight fit, part 1
Once you get the visors off and opened up, you're probably going to discover, as I did, that the inserts are not yet a "deluxe fit"--they're too loose. The solution is easy: add a shim to tighten things up. Feel free to be creative; I just snipped a half-inch-long piece from a regular (3/16") width zip tie, and held it against the flat part of the post while I screwed the insert on.

Get a tight fit, part 2
Note that screwing it on is not going to be easy. Use a Vice-Grip. If you can turn the insert by hand (even with gloves on) then it won't be stiff enough to hold the visor up! Test it by seeing whether the insert is stiff enough to not turn by itself with the weight of the Vice-Grip clamped on to it and hanging sideways.

Order of Assembly
I found that I needed to properly position the insert on the post (to match the placement of the cutout) and then, with it already assembled, zip-tie it (just a couple of zip ties, to hold it while the epoxy cures) and epoxy it in place. (Note that the visor can't spin 360 degrees around the post, so you cannot screw the insert onto the post *after* you've glued the visor on. Don't epoxy the empty insert onto your visor!)

Other than the above refinements, LokiDad's instructions work great. Have fun fixing your visors!