Thread: Police Stories
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2003, 06:26 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

This was awhile ago I think I was 18 at the time. I had a car load of my friends and we were out for a ride. I was flying around the corners a usual and went sliding through a turn with all four wheels screaming. On the other side of the turn was an officer in one of those 3 wheeled parking meter wagons. I was going to stop. Really I was. I figured the odds were against me. This was Paterson, city streets, no where to hide and police with radios. I would be looking at about 40 in a 25 with reckless driving, fleeing from an officer and we were a car loaded with kids.

My friends are all yelling go, go, GO. So I went, floored it as I watch the guy turning around and his lights came on to chase us. Man that thing was slow. We went about 100 yards to a stop sign with 3 cars in front of me. Come on move, move, move, I knew these streets well and I thought I had to get through this stop sign and then 2 more lights before I was clear.

I moved up to the intersection but could not go. The officer cleared the crest in the road behind me with his light flashing. He was closing in. I pulled through the stop sign and made a right. Did he get my plate? No he was too far away. 50 feet to the TL. Come on light change. It does and I make a left as the pursuing officer is turning the last corner. About a quarter mile to the next light as fast as I could go and it was green. We never saw another officer again that night and avoided town on the way back.

It wasn’t funny then and was funny a few years later and isn’t funny anymore as I listen to my son telling me about running away from an officer in my SVX. (What ever would cause him to do that?) I am thinking that if he wasn’t in THAT car he would have been caught. So my sons friend tops it off with “C**** is a really good driver but he scared the $h!t out of me”.

Oh! The thrill and excitement of getting chased by a police officer.

I think I really need to get the family involved in auto-X.