View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
technically the transmission problem was "fixed" in 94... i'll bet you we have quite a few members that would wave a certain finger at that remark from subaru. In my opinion, if you are going to be replacing the transmission with a manual.. get one that the trannys already going on, this way you can save a little in the purchase price, but then pay for the transmission swap. (would you be doing some of this work yourself??) The other route you could go is pay a little bit more for the car, and sell the auto box to someone and come out maybe even on the swap. (again... depending on labor) the biggest differences between a 96-97, and a 94-95 is going to be the OBDII system. the newer cars have the more electronic system, which I think is a benifit, although some do not. as to what to pay, depends mostly on the miles, and whether the person was an enthusiast (read: took good care of it) or someone who just beat on the car. if it was well taken care of, and has under 50K miles, i can definatly see a 97 being over $12k, ( my moms was) if i were you, i think i would go with a 96 (maybe 94, 95.. but i kinda like the OBDII), with low miles, good auto tranny, and well taken care of. it would probably be $8-10k. then, as you have the money to spend, drop the STi 6speed or the normal 5 speed, a "Porter suspension special" and the other normal modifications. you might also think about the supercharger kit that is being made. this is definatly a great car to buy with cash, and then still have money left to modify...

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker