View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Sound system recconmendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiftySVX View Post
So I've been fighting a horrible resonance in my svx since i put my aftermarket boston speakers in it back in 1999. I have since owned 2 lexus vehicles and really want to do something that will bring the sound up to a "premium" level. I don't need it to be loud, I just want full, powerful sound that will have a natural, balanced tone to it. I think this would be possible considering the speaker size and location offers a bit of flexibility. Are there any other audiophiles here that have found a good setup, without adding a sub or amplifiers? I know it's not possible to get anything that could even touch the Mark Levinson in the Lexus, but maybe something that could approach the JBL systems in Toyotas and still be less than $1000?
Without adding a sub, very much so, without adding an amp to drive a set of components? possibly.
A good set up would be to go with a solid set of component 6.5" speakers up front with a set of quality 6x9 coaxials in the rear. To really fill the sound better, even something like a single 8" or 10" sub would really help while not taking up much space at all in the trunk. To do this without a sub you could easily get some good sound for around $400(component/coaxial/amp) and if you included a quality sub and amp add another $300. I'm dead serious about the price too. Also what would help is some dynomat or similar stuff in the doors to help rid you of any annoying resonances.

Don't get caught up in the name brands in car audio. There are some unknown brands that have been able to produce great quality stuff without the big name price because they don't spend on advertising, and also, most only sell off their own sites so that retailers aren't jacking up the price to "get their slice".

Last edited by 1986nate; 04-14-2009 at 10:35 AM.