View Single Post
Old 11-21-2002, 07:14 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by henryb
Question about the Timing Belt Sprocket marks. When I took the belt off -- and I took it off very carefully! One of the cam sprocket's marks was lined up with the mark on the back of the cover. However, the other cam sprocket was 8 teeth off of the mark on the cover??? Almost 90 degrees off??? The crank sprocket was also bang on the mark as well.

How could this be so? Is it possible that the belt (which was still in very good condition) jumped 8 teeth???

I have owned 2 SVX's and I know the engine was running perfectly. I don't see how it could run at all with one sprocket off by that much!

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Brent.
The cams are under pressure from the valve springs, and as such it may have turned a bit when you released the tensioner. Or it could have slipped when you were wrestling the crank bolt loose. Sometimes a person will turn the crank backwards. With an older, stretched belt that will be enough to cause it to jump a few teeth. It's a fairly common occurence when changing t-belts and no damage will occur on the SVX when it happens, as it is a non-interference engine.