Old 06-27-2002, 07:57 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: 140?

Quote:
Originally posted by iced_out_svx
Can anyone prove over 140mph. I have the pics to show the car is not limited at 136 like people think. I hit 145 but only have pics for 140mph.

ICE
Your speedo will be engineered to over-read at higher speeds. Two reasons for this. First, If you lost your license for driving at 101 and your clock only showed 91, you would be peeved and sue.
Second, if the clock is showing higher numbers, you will be flattered. They want you to think the car is fast.

For that reason I often drive 10% faster than the limit shows, because the police will usually take account of possible clock inaccuracy, and not prosecute up to 10% over the real numbers.

A real 136 with 10% fast reading will be showing as 150 in the car. As modern electronic clocks are naturally more accurate than the old analogue cable driven ones, it is highly unlikely they will be as far off the mark as 10%, even intentionally, because they have to be set for accuracy near the 70 limit. Nevertheless, you could be fairly sure your speedo is over-reading by 5% at top speed.
This will mean a real 136 shows as 142, and a real 140 shows as 147.

I don't need the photos, I believe you hit the numbers. Top speeds are invariably a few miles slower than what the speedo tells. Would be interesting to get a laser gun and check real vs indicated on a closed airfield.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl