View Single Post
Old 08-29-2002, 06:35 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

They (Subaru) will tell you it's good for the life of the tranny. ( until the tranny breaks from a clogged filter) It is pricey by itself $48?. I have a 91 Legacy with the same filter and it has 172k miles. Recently it was acting up and it was from the filter being clogged. The fluid over heated and turned brown and it was shifting from 1st to 3rd and real rough. I caught it in time and changed the fluid and put the SVX filter on it. (The SVX was apart at the time and didn't need the filter right then.)

There are a number of posts on this subject. My current plan is find a similar filter to the subaru one at an auto parts store and replace it every 12,000 miles or so. The perma-cool filter kit is another option. Changing the filter more often is a good idea as is dropping the pan, cleaning the magnet and replacing the suction screen.

The external Subaru filter is a paper element type. I cut the old one from teh Legacy open and it looked pretty bad. The paper was heavily soaked, swelled and the surfaces of the paper were very rough. It was well beyond it's useful life.