View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 12:07 AM
deruvian

Question Washington Subie owners - where's a good salvage yard?

I'm finally there. I'm gonna do it. I just can't take it anymore.

I am going to swap in an AWD 5-speed into my FWD SVX.

Every time I hop in the car, I envision myself clutching and shifting. It drives me nuts. I also see myself doing controlled four-wheel drifts. I flat-out need an AWD 5-speed.

So, Washington Subie owners, what is a good salvage or wreckage yard to go to for parts? I've always found these things to be a little difficult to research. Always better to ask someone who knows.

I need to start with the basics. I need to get a rear LSD (limited slip) differential. Getting one that's already 4.11 would be great, but getting the stock SVX one would be fine too. I would also need the mounting bracket and bolts.

I need to get the rear half shafts as well. Should I get some used ones, or just bite it and get remanufactured ones?

And of course, I also need the driveshaft. I'm not sure if it's better to have the U-joint or CV-joint driveshaft for the swap, and I'm not sure if I can be that picky, but I will do some research I suppose.

What do you think? Do you think I can score this stuff for around/under $500 - $600?

Thanks all for the help. I'm sure I'll be needing it for the upcoming hoards of work.