View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 07:18 PM

fuel delivery - Intermittent

I have been trying to track down this problem for a couple days now.
The car is a 92 svx 172K miles. All stock except for crank pulley.

With no symptoms leading up to this, the car did not start after being shutoff and parked for aprox. 3 hours.

-I checked the timing belt... seemed fine.

-Checked fuel pressure, by pulling the line after the filter off. Sprayed fuel from both the metal and rubber line.

-Checked spark by removing a plug and grounding it. (on the right side, away from spilled fuel.) Had spark.

-Checked fuses. Found #2 blown. Replaced it, car started and drove for 15 mins. Restarted after 1/2 of being parked. Car then restarted and drove fine for another hour, where it was parked at home.

-Car did not start the next morning. Checked fuse 2 again, was fine. After pulling the fuse and putting it back in, the car restarted and drove just fine.

-Car died later that night, this time while driving. Again pulled fuse 2 and replaced it... no start. Checked fuel pressure, none.

-Had it towed home.

-Replaced, Cam and crank sensors as well as maf, all one at a time cranking it over in between... No start. Checked fuel pressure, none.

-Let the car sit with no more work done, and it started. Ran for 1/2 hour in my driveway. Idled fine, and ran fine when I held the rpms around 2k. Shut it off and turnrd it back on a few times. Everything seemed ok.

-Drove it 50 feet down the road, stalled, no restart. Check fuel pressure, none. Let the car sit and read the forum on my phone for about 1/2 hour. Restarted, drove it home.
Sorry for the timeline, but just wanted to give as much info as possible.

The only consistancy is the fuel pressure, except for the first time, but I checked it until well after it didn't start.

Now I have disconnected the fuel line and stuck in a jug. Sometimes if I turn the key on I have fuel flowing. Other times none. It does not stop flowing(engine off) within 20 seconds (thats all the time I could check before the gallon jug filled up).

I have tried disconnecting relays under the dash while fuel was flowing in order to locate the fuel pump relay. No luck with that. I have checked the manual wiring diagram and component locator for the relay, but can't find one that matches the description.

I am thinking the problem is:
-Bad fuel pump relay
-Bad fuel pump
Hopefully someone can help me locate the relay. Also any other suggestions are welcome
Any help would be greatley appreciated.
Thank you!