View Single Post
Old 03-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Ah,yes. Once upon a time, back in the glory days of the '50s & '60s, where I'm still living MY life, cars actually had heavy chrome bumpers. Parallel parking was the norm, & all cars were mandated to be 21 feet long. Parking spaces were mandated to be 18 feet long. Power steering was something only found on Cadillacs. How DID we manage? Parking "by ear" was acceptable. Scuff & scrape marks were on chrome were the norm. It wasn't easy to actually dent heavy chrome. Nonetheless, J.C. Whitney, Pep Boys & the rest sold VERTICAL chrome "bars" that custom fit each car's bumper. I think some had thick rubber padding. These were very popular in New York City & other "challenged" cities. Their popularity died out, but I don't remember why. Probably a conspiracy amongst auto manufacturers to thwart non-obsolescence or declare them "ugly". Anyway, there's probably an opportunity here for Ripimoff Industries to come to the rescue & revive these wonderful devices. Or...maybe someday an automobile company will develop the technology to actually make a real BUMPER that can actually be BUMPED at 2 mph without totalling the vehicle.
.................Naaaaaaaaah!!!

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.