Thread: axle repair
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2004, 07:06 PM
SVX Appeal

Yeah, $328.89 for an axle isn't right, but it's correct - that is to say, that's what they cost. Go to SubaruParts.com. I've provided a link that takes you directly to the part. Normally it's $369.96 so it's already marked down. If you want a new one, sell some internal organs or your first born.

$486 total.

-$86 transmission fluid and filter change
=$400

-$275 for the axle
=$125

-$125 for 2.5 hours labor @ $50/hour
=$0

Everything’s accounted for. I always bid an axle swap for 2.5 hours labor, because that's what I've always heard it's normally bid for. I don't charge $50 an hour, and I can do it in less time, but that's a pretty normal rate. Not all shops use remanufactured parts, and I don't blame them. Some of those parts are not up to snuff. Some customers will blow a gasket if they find out it’s not a "new" part. If you don't understand what's entailed in a repair, ask. I'd rather have a customer complain about my price than the quality of my service or the products I supply. I'll sell a cheaper part, do a lousy job, and charge a lower price, but only if the customer asks for it and is aware of what they're asking - otherwise it's a good way to get a bad reputation for doing sub-standard work.

I don't think you got ripped off. In fact, I've seen prices upwards of $100 for a simple transmission tune-up more than once. If you consider that, you got a good deal.

Last edited by UberRoo; 06-05-2004 at 07:13 PM.