Thread: Manifold Issues
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Remember, Pre-heat your aluminum.

OK spent all night in the garage getting this TB adapter fixed... I will try and take pics tomorrow but I changed a couple things.

1. I had cut the entire side off of the TB adaptor to replace it with a thicker gauge aluminum. That has been welded on and looks perfect.

2. I never was happy with the mating flange for the blower because it was all warped. So I cut another piece of 1/4" 6071 and welded a nice flat mating surface on. Tomorrow I will be cutting the opening for the blower inlet.

I chose to cut the hole after it was welded to avoid the kind of warping that had happened before. AL takes A LOT of heat to weld so pull and warp is something you need to think about before ever striking an arc. I have 100% confidence in the TB now that I have stripped all the powder coating and paint off of it and inspected all of the welds... I have found a few more pinholes in the welds that had not penetrated and did not cause any issues but with time likely would have. So after I patched up everything it is ready for the blower and bypass valve cuts. Tomorrow I should be able to get everything buttoned up and have the car running well... Fingers crossed

Tom