View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 10:36 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Post Collectible Automobile - Great Car, Lousy Timing.

http://www.subarusvx.com/articles/article1.html
I enjoy reading over these articles from time to time and this stuck out at me:

"...but those silly half-windows.... And despite styling by maestro Giorgetto Giugiaro, the SVX still managed to convey that nerdy Subaru look. It's an interesting car and a worthwhile buy at a bargain price. Just don't expect its circle of admirers to be large. - Chuck Giametta"

For a nerdy Subaru , it sure does get its fair share of compliments even in 2008. I've never had a single compliment from any other car I've owned (of course none were really very stellar either ) but for only owning the SVX for close to 5 months now, I've had nearly a dozen people comment positively about the car.... most I don't know and many times in a somewhat shocking like statement, 3 asking to buy it. As far as silly windows go... everyone states how cool they are. I'm still waiting for someone to walk up to me and state that the windows are an ugly piece of ****.

One girl at a Chik-fil-a drive-thru insisted on pulling her co-workers around and pointing out the window exclaiming "I've never seen a vehicle like that! Have you? Have you?" I almost couldn't help but feel maybe a little embarrassed by her reaction but I ended up smiling and sort of chuckling after driving away, still hearing her ranting asking once again if anyone has ever seen something like that before.

I'm not sure I can agree much to the article title though.... in regards to the lousy timing. Sadly even today this car would most likely not sell very well unless the price was considerably less, which wouldn't be probable. If anything it was a turning point for Subaru which was clearly a stepping stone experience into where they are today. It is a great car... dare I say awesome.

I feel fortunate for owning an SVX with being able to purchase one in such decent condition at such an awesome price. Worth every penny and the 1,600 mile trip to obtain one. =)

"...but make no mistake that an SVX of any vintage is indeed a capable and endearing machine--even if few others are impressed with your choice. - Rick Cotta"

And much truth holds with the articles comment below:
"It may not be inexpensive, but the SVX is built to last and a fine ride. A pity it hasn't lasted longer on the market."

Even with it not being as expensive, maintenance can take it's toll. One that can prove to be well worth it, however! I love it!
(the car that is, not the maintenance... )