View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 12:55 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Trunk Fuel Resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflystyle View Post
1. Started (This makes me believe it to be an intermittent problem)
2. Started
3. Started
4. No Start

Looking back I tried #1 with both units dangling in the trunk and not attached to the support bracket. I will retry with them reattached just as a sanity check.

I also want to state that I am not an Electrical Engineer and my grasp of electrical schematics and troubleshooting are limited. I apologize for this handicap but will try my best at describing and implementing any suggestions.

While troubleshooting today I removed the module from the trunk and removed its casing. It was easy to disassemble so I took the opportunity to check what I could and take pictures.

The board on the module looks OK to my untrained eye. I checked continuity between all pins/solder points and everything beeped with my multi-meter. According to the schematic pins 1 and 2 connect to the resistor so I checked D1 and R3 on the module as they were the only parts connected to those pins. With my multimeter scale at 2000, R3 read 555 and D1 readh 450.
Yep, you have an intermittent problem. It could be the relay, but unlikely. They usually just fail. Could be the pump, but again, unlikely. Could be either of their connectors. I am voting for connector R19. Monkeying with either the modulator or the resistor could impact that connector.

The problem could also be a weak or intermittent connection to ground. In order for the car to start with just the resistor plugged in, either one end of the resistor has to be grounded internal to it's case and use case to make the ground connection or one of the two wires on the resistor connector's mate has to go to ground. I would check both this assembly's connection to ground and/or the resistor's mating connector's connection to ground. Same for pin 2 of the modulator's connector and ground.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 12-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.