Thread: Two questions
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 AM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Two questions

All right, so I haven't posted a thread in a while so bear with me:

I was listening to NPR's Car Talk the other day and someone called in and said that her car with like 125k miles was idling very poorly at cold and was missing under acceleration. They suggested that she bring her car to a shop equipped with a motorvac system. The motorvac system supposedly bypasses the fuel pump and basically runs a very rich detergent through the fuel rails and injectors to clean them out. My car is suffering from the same problem (missing, idles bad at cold..even warm too).

Would this be a worthwhile venture for me to find a place that has this system and have it done to my car? I just clicked over 189k miles. Maybe it's just me and having seen Shell commercials, but it seems like ever since I put that Shell gas in, the car runs just a little bit better. However, I could just be full of it.

Now, my other question: Whenever I turn the key to the on position, I hear the fuel pump come on. The fuel pump and lines seem to make an awful lot of gurgling noises for a little while until the system is pressurized. Is this a sign of a fuel pump saying goodbye? If so, could this be contributing to the fact that my car runs poorly?

Any help would be much appreciated.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi